Dee Dee Bridgewater: A malian journey

Dee Dee Bridgewater - Red Earth: A malian journey - 2007
Decca Music Group

En este post info y links de las dos versiones de este muy buentrabajo de Dee Dee. La info tomada de aqu? y de all? en la web; loslinks propios de mi "dep?sito virtual" en medifire.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jljmjzotwmz
mp3, 192

Dee Dee Bridgewater es una cantante de Jazz que siempre ha estadomuy influenciada por Ella Fitzerald, aunque ha tocado muy variadosestilos dentro del jazz. Pero esta vez ha decidido buscar sus ra?cesafricanas. Adem?s de a su pianista bater?a y bajista, Dee Dee trae atodo un arsenal de m?sicos. Dee Dee Bridgewater, utiliza su voz y suencanto para rendir homenaje a sus ra?ces africanas, consiguiendo unalbum espectacular, con mucho ritmo y fuerza.

Lo que m?s gusta: Los m?sicos de Mali: sin duda, el balaf?n y elkora fueron incre?bles (el xil?fono y la guitarra tipo medio bal?n decon un palo clavao).

Dee Dee Bridgewater, Embajadora de Buena Voluntad de la FAO yCaballero de la Orden Nacional del M?rito y Oficial de las Artes y lasLetras de la Rep?blica Francesa, presenta su trabajo RED EARTH ? Amalian journey, un regreso a sus ra?ces africanas, escribiendo ellamuchas de las letras de las canciones.

Aqu? puede verse a Dee Dee en Mali

El disco supone un viaje inici?tico a Mali que Bridgewater realizapara descubrir sus ra?ces africanas. La fusi?n de voces, m?sica einstrumentos tradicionales de Mali con la m?sica de jazz norteamericanaaut?ctona, su conexi?n instintiva con el blues de este pa?s africano, ysu uni?n inexplicable hacia la tierra roja, el signo antiguo de lasfuerzas de la vida y la tierra de sus ancestros, han posibilitado queDee Dee Brigdewater culmine con este trabajo su decisi?n de encontrarsus ra?ces.

En esta foto puede verse a Dee Dee junto a Oumou Sangar? que particip? en el disco.

Tracks:
01. Afro blue 5:10
02. Bad spirits (Bani) 5:47
03. Dee Dee 2:55
04. Mama don't ever go away (Mama digna sara ye) 5:38
05. Long time ago 6:47
06. Children go 'round (Demissenw) 6:05
07. The griots (Sakhodougou) 6:02
08. Oh my love (Djarabi) 6:02
09. Four women 5:22
10. No more (Bambo) 4:44
11. Red Earth (Massane Cisse) 5:15
12. Meanwhile 4:23
13. Compared to what 5:21

Personnel:
Dee Dee Bridgewater: vocals
Edsel G?mez: piano
Ira Coleman: bass
Minino Garay: drums, caxixi, caj?n, percussion, cymbals
Baba Sissoko: vocals, tamani, n'goni
Lansin? Kouyat?: balafon
'Petit' Adama Diarra: djembe
Lamin? Tounkara: doum-doum
Cheick Tidiane Seck: shakeres, karignan, vocals, Fender Rhodes, calebasse, Hammond B3 organ
Kass? Mady Diabat?: vocals
Djelimady Tounkara: guitar
Fantamady Kouyat?: guitar
Toumani Diabat?: kora
Habib 'Dia' Sangar?: bolon
Alou Kouloubali: calebasse
Mamani Keita: vocals
Zoumana Tereta: sokou
Cherif Soumano: kora
Kabin? Kouyat?: vocals
Fatou Diawara: vocals
Fatoumata 'Mama' Kouyat?: vocals
Ramata Diakit?: vocals
Benogo Diakit?: kamalengoni
Kassim Sidib?: kamalengoni
Habib 'Dia' Sangar?: bolon
Ami Sacko: vocals
Bass?kou Kouyat?: n'goni
Omar Kouyat?: n'goni
Moussa Bah: n'goni
Andra Kouyat?: n'goni
Gabriel Durand: guitar
Moussa Sissoko: tamani, djabara, shakeres
Aly Wagu?: flute Peul
Lansin? Kouyat?: balafon
Moriba Koita: n'goni
Oumou Sangar?: vocals
Cheick Oumar 'S?kou': djembe
Yahkouba Sissokho: kora
Mar? Sanogo: doum-doum
Tata 'Bamba' Kouyat?: vocals
Modibo Kouyat?: guitar
Adama Tounkara: n'goni
Mamadou Diabat?: kora
'Djifli' Mamadou Sanogo: djemb?
'Pepito' Sekouba Kouyat?: tamani
Oumou Sacko: vocals
Fati Kouyat?: vocals
Ami Sacko: vocals
Jacob Soubeiga: guitar
Moussa Sissokho: djemb?
Lassy 'King' Massassy: vocals

En la foto puede verse a algunos de los m?sicos que intervienen en el disco:

Sentados (izquierda a derecha): Minino Garay, Dee Dee, Cheick Tidiane Seck, Benogo Diakit?, Habib ?Dia? Sangar?

Parados (izquierda a derecha): Edsel Gomez, Zoumana Tereta, Ira Coleman, Baba Sissoko.

******************************************************************************************

Dee Dee Bridgewater - Red Earth - A Malian Journey

Ms. Bridgewater is touring with a band that includes her jazz trioalong with some wonderful Malian performers. The band includes IraColeman on bass, Edsel Gomez on piano, Minino Garay on percussion anddrums, Baba Sissoko on n'goni, Assitan Kita providing backgroundvocals, Kabin Kouyat also on background vocals, Lansin? Kouyat? onbalafon, Adama Diarra on djemb? and Mamadou Cherif Soumano on kora.

With a voice that sits comfortably among the last century'sgreatest female jazz singers, Dee Dee Bridgewater has created abreathtaking and innovative new vision of jazz on her new album RedEarth. By retracing her Africa roots to Mali and combining the richtradition of jazz with the equally rich African music traditions shehas created a totally organic musical experience.

Dee Dee Bridgewater is first and foremost a groundbreaker, anartist whose projects have traversed the musical kaleidoscope - fromtraditional vocal jazz to searing scat interpretations. Unafraid anduninhibited, these attributes make her perhaps the most versatile andinspiring artist and producer of her generation. Drawing on a deep fontof talent and inspiration, Bridgewater's new project, ?RED EARTH - AMalian Journey," is a journey both forward and back. Melding Malianvoices, music and traditional instruments with American jazz vernacularand penning many of the lyrics, Dee Dee Bridgewater has crafted one ofher most important musical statements to date.

Bridgewater explains, the album is ?the culmination of my decisionto find my African roots. It was an idea I first had when doing HoraceSilver's music, which is so syncopated and rhythmic." The resultingGrammy nominated album love and peace: A Tribute to Horace Silversolidified her resolve to further investigate African music. With thedeath of Ella Fitzgerald in 1996 and Dee Dee's subsequent double GrammyAward winning tribute Dear Ella, the project was put on hold. Herensuing projects, Live At Yoshi's, This Is New, and J'ai Deux Amours,incorporated more global sounds and influences and yielded Grammynominations for two of the albums.

Elected in 1999 as one of the United Nations' first Ambassadors forthe Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Bridgewater was grantedthe unique opportunity to travel to Africa, visiting villages involvedwith various FAO programs. Over the years, Dee Dee amassed a library ofmusic from Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Congo, Benin, South Africaand Madagascar amongst others. As she narrowed her focus, one country'smusic came to the fore. ?Whenever I heard it, I would get a jolt."Bridgewater recalls. ?In the end of 2003, I started thinking it must beMali. I had an inexplicable knowledge and ability to scat to andcomprehend this rhythm and music".

However, it was not until August 2004 that Bridgewater decided tomake the long-awaited trip to Mali. It was during this first voyagethat Dee Dee intensely felt she had found her ancestral home. Herinstinctual connection to Malian ?blues", an inexplicable draw to thered earth - the ancient sign of life forces and land of her ancestors -and her amazing resemblance to the Malian tribe called 'Peul' allconfirmed her suspicions, drawing her in with undeniable spiritualforce.

For their first trip to Mali, Bridgewater and co-producer/husbandJean-Marie Durand enlisted the aide of Cheick Tidiane Seck, who hadproduced jazz pianist Hank Jones' 1995 celebrated Verve release Sarala,to serve as their musical chaperone. Seck provided a portal to thecountry's brightest musicians and singers and with his involvement themusic began to take shape. Cheick Tidiane Seck ?is responsible for theinvolvement of all the Malian musicians on this project, as well asselecting the traditional Malian songs," says Bridgewater. ?We bothagreed that the project had to have traditional Malian instruments, aswe were fusing traditional Malian music with the traditions of Jazz."It was during this visit that Seck introduced Bridgewater and Durand toMalian Minister of Culture and filmmaker, Cheick Omar Sissoko, who gavethe group use of an official vehicle and driver, allowing them to tourdifferent regions and take in the culture of the country.

During a subsequent visit in August 2006, Mariam Nour, the Malianrepresentative for the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, invitedGoodwill Ambassadors Bridgewater and Oumou Sangar? to tour villagesinvolved with local FAO programs. One village's women raise bees forhoney, soap, candles and other products and run a cooperative sellingthese goods near Mali's capitol, Bamako. In another, a woman was lentthe funds to procure livestock with the caveat that they be eithersheep or goats. She purchased one sheep and ten ewes, which allowed herto breed animals that could be sold to repay the loan. She then gave aportion of the proceeds to another woman in a different village tocontinue the program herself. A third village's women were learningmicro-agricultural irrigation practices involving square plots of landfrom a doctor from Haiti. Bridgewater marveled, ?It was a wonderfulexperience, one that has irrevocably changed my life forever".

The roles and influences of women are intrinsically interwoven inMalian politics and culture. In this vein, Dee Dee wanted to bring thestrong feminine aspect of Mali to Red Earth - A Malian Journey. Onesong, 'Bambo (No More)', composed by Tata 'Bambo' Kouyat, was sopowerful that it led the government to abolish forced marriage in the1960s. In addition to including ?Bambo" on the album, Dee Dee made theconscious decision to feature female vocalists like outspoken women'srights advocate Oumou Sangar?, Ramata Diakit?, rising star Mamani Keitaand Fatoumata ?Mama" Kouyat?, the ?golden voice of Mali". Bridgewatersays, ?I felt such a strong sisterhood with all of these dynamicwomen." It was important for her to highlight this less explored partof the culture, which she feels has a distinct influence on the peopleand their music".

Songs ?Bani (Bad spirits)", ?Sakhodougou (The griots)", and?Massane Ciss? (Red Earth)", which originated in the Twelfth andThirteenth centuries, are told in the oral tradition of the 'Griots'.These time-honored storytellers of Malian and family history arecharged with carrying the vocal and musical customs forward through thegenerations. In deference to the importance of these traditions,Bridgewater features lauded 'Griots' Kasse Mady Diabat?, up-and-comingtalent Kabin Kouyat?, and musical griots Bassekou Kouyat?, ToumaniDiabat? and Baba Sissoko, whom Dee Dee considers her personal ?griot".In working with the 'Griot' songs, as well as some of the other songs,Dee Dee tried to remain faithful to the original story, while at timeslending a more updated nuance. This is the case with ?Massane Ciss?(Red Earth)" and the updated Segou 'Griot' song, ?Demissenw (Childrengo 'round)". Interspersed are original compositions ?Mama digna sara ye(Mama don't ever go away)" and ?Djarabi (Oh my love)".

?Jean-Marie [Durand] and I worked with Basskou Kouyat in setting upjam sessions at his house. I improvised rhythms and lyrics. ?ChildrenGo 'Round" came out of that." Four n'goni players, two percussionistsand Basskou's wife, Ami Sacko improvised with Dee Dee. At Basskou'surging, Bridgewater's youngest child, son Gabriel Durand, was invitedto sit in on guitar. The organic outgrowth of that experience was sosuccessful that Bridgewater recorded the tune with Basskou's group?N'goni Ba" in one room with son Gabriel featured on guitar. ?That'swhy it has such a different sound. Mixing it was almost impossiblebecause everyone bled together - voices and instruments melded, butthat was the original album concept. It would have been quite anundertaking to do the whole album that way, but it was great to getthat one song", says Bridgewater describing the raw and honest qualityof the track.

The title of the album Red Earth - A malian journey wasserendipitous. On the morning of her first day in Mali, Bridgewater wasoverwhelmed at the view from her hotel room - red earth stretching outbefore her with the Niger river coursing in the distance. It remindedher of the stories her mother told her of her childhood love of rollingin the red earth of Memphis. Dee Dee pensively offers, ?I'm just tryingto find my voice and my reason to be. Doing this project I feel thatI've found something incredible - my African roots and my home, Mali".

******************************************************************************************

Dee Dee Bridgewater - "Red Earth" - Live at Jazz Open Stuttgart - 2007

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jjjdhklfvly
mp3, 192

Personnel:
Dee Dee Bridgewater, vocals
Ira Coleman, stand-up electric bass, musical director
Edsel G?mez, piano
Lansine Kouyat?, balafon
Baba Sissoko, n'goni
Adama Diarra, djembe
Mamadou Cherif Soumano, kora, guitar
Kabine Kouyat?, vocals
Assitan Kita, vocals
Minino Garay, drums, caj?n, percussion

Recorded live at Jazz Open Stuttgart, Germany, July 12, 2007

Tracklist:
1. Afro blue
2. Bani (Bad spirits)
3. Footprints
4. Demiss?nw (Children go round)
5. Sakhodougou (The griots)
6. Massane Ciss? (Red Earth)
7. Compared to what

Dee Dee Bridgewater:

Dee Dee Bridgewater (Memphis, 27 de mayo de 1950), cantanteestadounidense de jazz que frecuenta tambi?n la fusi?n de este conotros estilos contempor?neos (pop, disco, etc.). Se trata de una de lasm?s relevantes vocalistas femeninas desde mediados de los a?os noventa.Su repertorio es, b?sicamente, el de los est?ndares jazz?sticos, aunquearriesga constantemente en la improvisaci?n interpretativa, sobre todoen sus actuaciones en directo. Su voz es n?tida y fuerte, con un puntode gravedad.

Actu? en M?chigan durante los a?os 69 y dio una gira por la Uni?nSovi?tica en 1969 con la big band de la Universidad de Illinois. Cant?con la orquesta de Thad Jones/Mel Lewis entre 1972 y 1974 y apareci? enel musical de Broadway The Wiz (1974-1976). Durante mucho tiempo fueignorada por el mundo del jazz por lo que se traslad? a Francia en losa?os ochenta para intentar reconducir su carrera. Apareci? en el showLady Day y en festivales de jazz europeos, y por un tiempo form? supropio grupo de acompa?amiento. A finales de los ochenta, susgrabaciones para Verve empezaron a tener ?xito en su pa?s de origen. Sudisco de 1995 en homenaje a Horace Silver le permiti? emprender unagira por Estados Unidos que la redescubri? para la audiencia de supa?s. Obtuvo otro gran ?xito, Grammy incluido en 1997, con su homenajea Ella Fitzgerald.

Ha explorado en This is New (2002) las canciones de Kurt Weill, y,en su siguiente ?lbum J'ai deux amours (2005), los cl?sicos franceses.

Su ?lbum Red Earth, de 2007, presenta temas de inspiraci?n africana y contribuciones de numerosos m?sicos de Mali.

Discograf?a:
Afro blue (1974)
Dee Dee Bridgewater (1976)
Just family (1977)
Bad for me (1979)
Live in Paris (1986)
In Montreux (live) (1990)]
Keeping tradition (1992)
Love and peace: A tribute to Horace Silver (1995)
Dear Ella (1997)
Victim of love (1998)
Live at Yoshi's (2000)
This is new (2002)
J'ai deux amours (2005)
Dee Bridgewater Vol. 2 (2006)
Red Earth: A malian journey (2007)
Dee Dee Bridgewater: A malian journey
0 Puntos Score: 0/10
Visitas: 2202 Favoritos: 0
0 Comentarios Dee Dee Bridgewater: A malian journey
Este post no tiene comentarios. Sea el primero!
Para dejar un comentario Registrate! o.. eres ya usuario? Accede!